Search This Blog

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Homemade Tomato Soup!

Tomato harvest, what to do? Tomato soup for dinner!
3½ pounds of  Principe Borghese and a couple of Brandywines.
Chop up one onion and smash 6 cloves of garlic.
Saute onions & garlic until soft.
Add tomatoes, smash so their skins break.
Let simmer for about an hour.

Into the "witch's hat"!
Put through food mill to remove seeds and skins
Don't forget to scrape all the thick goodness from the outside!
If it's thick enough for you now ... EAT!
If not, continue reading ... 
Melt ½ cup of butter
Whisk in ½ cup of flour until it's thick ..
continue cooking while constantly whisking
for a couple minutes so the flour cooks
and doesn't taste "floury"
Quickly stir in a ladle full of the soup, keep stirring!
Add a few ladles until it's no longer thick,
then add to the soup while constantly whisking!
DONE!
Enjoy with a grilled cheese sandwich!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

More about me than you may want to know!

My photo
I love to work in my gardens ... flowers, herbs and vegetables all intermingled. I am an organic gardener and use companion plantings to help control the pests and diseases. I also love to help "young people" learn that they can make a meal from scratch just as fast as they can open a box of Hamburger Helper or go through the drive through. I run a business from my home teaching people to cook & selling the tools to do so. I work full time at the local grocery store, so I see many sides to the food we eat. Most of it is not good. We need to get back to feeding ourselves as much as possible and stop shipping our food thousands of miles! I also am an avid supporter of the Humane Society, La Crescent Animal Rescue and other local groups that help animals. Recycling, composting and re-purposing are also very important causes to me! I run an online greeting card business and a business that sells plant based cleaning products & natural supplements as well.